Tea with Jade

Construction, Air Show and Tea with Jade
- 22, 23, 24 September 2012 -



So I had to start with something so I used a couple of events and outings in the week to exercise my photographic skills and capture some experiences.


So according to my previous post I decided on theme for the project, at least for the planning stage. I found a construction site close to my house and asked the supervisor there if I could take photos. After he reassured me nothing was going to fall on my head, I continued to photograph the construction site. 

This construction wasn't exactly what I was looking for. I actually had my eyes set on a huge mall that was partially built in Moreleta Park in Pretoria, where construction has been suspended due to lack of funds. After driving past a couple of times and walking around the site and couldn't find a way in, I gave up. Maybe one day.

Waterkloof Air Show

Later that day I attended a braai with some friends who stay a block away from me. The Waterkloof airbase is very close to us so I brought my camera along to catch some of the air activity that has been irritating me for the last week in preparation for the Waterkloof air show.


For those of you who don't know, it's not very easy taking photo's of jets from a backyard. Even though the speed is an issue in isolation, roofs, trees and other objects doesn't help either. The biggest problem I had was not being able to prepare, I can hear them coming but it's not until they are almost past when you realise from which direction they are coming.



In 2011 my brother and I decided we will attend the air show as it is just down the road from me, however as we approached the entrance to the Waterkloof military base, there was a queue of cars backed up for about 2km. So we decided it wasn't worth it.

I find it strange how people who live right next to big attractions never actually visit those attractions. I lived in Cape Town for 3 years and never visited Table Mountain. I'm sure if I was a tourist from India I would have probably seen the value in the long queue, expensive entrance fee or maybe even see the value in hiking up the mountain. 

Tea with Jade

The following day my brother came to visit with his beautiful daughter Jade. We went to the local mall for some breakfast / lunch.





I'm working on some series photographs using these photos, will share in posts to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment